WOW! A day of complete and utter destruction – and a few nice surprises.
Progress today included:
- 90% of laundry gutted
- 30% demolition of dining room fireplace
- 80% demolition of study/spare bedroom (to be bathroom) fireplace
- 50% demolition of fireplace in kitchen
- old air conditioner removed
The builders discovered some interesting old artefacts stuck way up the top of the kitchen fireplace flue on a brick ledge:
- hand-addressed envelope for a street address that doesn’t actually exist any more. 230 Elizabeth Street is now in Surry Hills. Even house numbers for Elizabeth Street in Zetland start at 876 these days. Must find out more.
- cigarette packets
- match boxes
- magazine and newspaper fragments (oldest that we can positively identify dates back to May 1916)
Solid progress. The builders are clean bunch and are using huge dust collection units, in addition to old fashioned brooms and dustpans, which seem to be keeping the place surprisingly tidy.